Quick links

Wednesday 13 February 2008

Making the most of the last few days at sea

Well having been out at sea 10+ weeks we thought we’d seen pretty muchall wave action there was, but last night we were taken by surprise. Herdip had been out on the oars, and was keen to swap after being knocked by a few express trains. I was busily trying to clean up the rice pudding from the footwell (our shared night snack) as I’d managed to spill it when hit unexpectedly by those waves. (Don’t tell Herdip but I was actually trying to scoop her share back into the pack!). Moments after I stepped out, I was stood in the gully adjusting my PVC tog when unexpectedly from no where I was hit by an almighty wave, beam on. Thank fully Dream Maker stood her ground well, but I was DRENCHED and stood, nearly knee high in water. I had to bilge pump three bucket loads of water out just to see my feet again. But despite all the sloshing noise, wind and roaring waves I could still hear Sister Sidhu laughing her head off in the cabin! It has to be said it was very funny . . . .

I’m afraid that we do have a confession to make though (you better sit down for this one Jamie!). We’re not actually rowing as hard as we should be any more! No I can assure you it’s not because we’ve given up . . . . let me explain . . .
After the bitter disappointment of missing one set of friends in Antigua having calculated our ETA sooo wrongly, when it came to doing the maths second time around we based them on the conservative average of 30 – 35 nautical miles a day. Calculations over, flights booked – job done! The very next day we started doing 40+nm a day, which has continued since! And so at this rate we would be at the airport welcoming our friends and family in rather than have them at Nelson’s dock yard welcoming us . . . . so as a result we’re taking it easy! We sleep for two shifts at night, we rest in the oppressive heat of the midday sun and we don’t row in squalls! But still we manage to row 40+nm a day … what is going on?!
We’re preparing for few days sat on anchor . . . . .

No comments: