Quick links

Sunday 23 December 2007

Sing for your supper? . . .

There's no doubting that the design of these boats are fantastic, and"Dream Maker" has certainly been beautifully and skillfully crafted. If there was one design fault though, it would be that the rudder has to be attached to the stern cabin - the same cabin that we sleep in!! I think I've already mentioned how much of a precious commodity sleep is! Not just because of the 2 hour on 2 hour off rotation, but because of the quality (poor) of the sleep you get - constantly hearing the rudder squeak and croak as Dream Maker carves herself through the waves on the right bearing! There's also the noise of the waves, which crash on to the side with the same noise level as if it was a Great Western rain crashing through the cabin. We had thought of ear plugs, but decided from a safety point of view that it might be good to be able to hear the other one call! Add to the noise the sudden jerky movement caused by the big waves it makes getting any sleep the most difficult task ever!
You can imagine therefore how popular I was last night when herdip appeared unexpectedly through the hatch shouting "FOR GOD'S SAKE ELIN STOP SINGING ALONG WITH YOUR I POD!". It would appear that I have not been blessed with the voice of an angel, and if Herdip is to be believed it's no wonder the dolphins haven't been back to visit us for the last 2 weeks!

Eating is slowly getting better! we both managed to eat two full meals this week. We're no where near the 6000 calories a day target, but at least we're up to 2500-3000 I'd say. Herdip keeps fretting that her legs look like sparrows legs already. I keep reassuring her they don't (lying in the name of team spirit is OK, honest!!!!)

One of Nemo's friend's joined us on deck last night, I tried to reunite him with his friends but by the time Herdip had flapped around over him, and I'd got out of my sleeping bag, I worry that it may have been a little bit late for him!!!

David's just text us, having just realised that only 31 women have ever rowed an ocean! . . . . . we so badly hope to be one of those in the coming weeks and months ...

No comments: