Quick links

Wednesday 30 January 2008

Chatting up men - Atlantic style

Last night on my shift at about 23.00hrs I noticed a light and asked Elin to have a look, she groaned at me because she thought it was just another star that I thought would be amazing for her to look at. My feeling about it not being a star were correct, it was quite a large cargo vessel. We tried to make contact but had no joy, so Elin went back to sleep and I kept a watchful eye on it.
In the middle of my row I had to use the bucket (duty calls), and this ship seemed quite large and close now, I quickly did my stuff and called Elin to radio them. Trying to wake Elin up was a mission in itself, I think I scared all the flying fish away with all my shouting!!! Anyway, success, they spoke to us and Elin had quite a conversation with them, but we were asked a few odd questions!!
Ship crew "How many crew are you"Elin "Two of us"Ship crew "two female crew, hmmm we are all male crew"There was a pause from Elin then, probably thinking , right do I ask if there are any ginger men on board or not!?! Thankfully she didn't.
Then the most important question was asked by the ship crew, "what are your coordinates?”. We told them, he obviously looked at his and replied "oh yes we are very close." My thought on that was no s**t Sherlock.
They asked what side of the ship we could see and to all you cynics out there we didn't say the green light side - we said starboard like all true professional seamen and women. They were also having problems spotting us on their radar system and I was told to do several checks on our systems which seemed fine, he finally got back and said " yes I now have you on my rudder", well it sounded like that to me! I think he meant radar! Elin found this image of us on their rudder hysterical.
After several other personal questions about age etc we bid them farewell and a safe journey to London, England all the way from South America.

P.S Char, Elin and I are very pleased about all the interest from your students and would be more than happy to do a Q&A session on our return, a big thank you to all the pupils.

No comments: