Quick links

Wednesday 9 January 2008

The power of the mind . . . .

Well, as you've all no doubt spotted, we've dropped our overall position. It's a real blow to me with every boat that goes past or every boat that increases their distance ahead of us. This is where Herdip & I really differ. She's rowing to "complete" where as I'm trying to row to "compete". I know, in the vastness of the Atlantic, where we're all actually competing with the elements more than each other that it's silly to get obsessed about positions, but after 11 years of rugby I'm afraid I can't erase my competitive nature that easily.
We are both getting increasingly irritated with our low mileage over the last few days however, and hope for an improvement VERY soon. Ultimately of course, we are both united in our goal to complete safely while raising awareness (and hopefully a significant amount of money) for metabolic research.
The sun is now charging up our solar power nicely. Unfortunately however we both feel like we're running on "empty" and eating and sleeping doesn't seem to give us the energy we so badly want. Sometimes when we're at the oars it feels like we have nothing to give. There's a distinct lack of service stations and "row-thrus" in the Atlantic though!!
The situation is not helped by the fact that I'm suffering badly from buttocks pain! Herdip happily informs me that she doesn't suffer from pain as hers is smaller! (I'll skip over that conversation!). I have enough spots on my bottom to depict the Himalayas! Very fetching! Again, Herdip's Indian skin seems to have fared better on this scene!
In the beginning I found that a cocktail of tramadol, voltarol and paracetamol not only kept the pain at bay but kept me high with the stars. Stocks have now run low however, and I had to think of other ways to manage. . . . .
I wrote it in "My Worries" book (thanks Karen) but the Mayan Indians of Guatemala don't seem to be interested, or indeed able to take my backside pain away!
I therefore opted for a bit of distraction therapy, which now keeps me going through my painful rowing sessions. I follow a little "dance routine" which goes something like ....

left cheek up .... row
right cheek up .... row
nano second lift of both cheeks (not easy with feet strapped in!) .... row
shimmy .... row....
and again ....

Lisa you'll vouch from my step aerobics attempts that this routine is a pretty complex one for me to follow - and as a result ensures that my mind does not focus on the pain alone.

So with the same weather predictions expected for the next 3 days, I brace myself for slow progress, more spots and bottom pain while Herdip daydreams the days away with guided imagery visions of pizzas and ice cold drinks! Guided imagery has been made easier for her since a flying fish loped itself at her from the back of her head . . . leaving her rather dazed and confused!

p.s random messages to people ...
Sion Aron - paned yn gwely - does ryfedd bod Esther wedi disgyn wrth dy draed! Edrych ymlaen wa!
Shell & Tim - book me in for that bed (? June or Sept) with a prime view of the BIG TV and LOADS of COFFEE!!
Char - glad kids at your school are inspired. Of course we'll come tell them all about it, especially if they support our fundraising efforts!

No comments: