Quick links

Tuesday 29 January 2008

DreamMaker, the smoothest bottom on the Atlantic

I'm not going to say it too loudly, so I’ll whisper, but it actually feels like the wind is with us today! Having said that we were increasingly frustrated that our daily mileage was still not what we wanted it to be, so at 6:00 local time today I jumped into the big blue to scrape off the barnacles. My previous attempt had been less than successful, a wave had pulled Dream Maker away from me, and as I reached to grab her I dropped the scraper. Following that I’d avoided the thought of doing it again, but Dream Maker was seriously feeling sluggish so it couldn’t be ignored any more. Thirty minutes scrapping today and the hull was as soft as a baby’s bottom (not mine!!). A few big fish came by to inspect my work too. So fingers crossed …

Yesterday had been a rather low day. I cried all day (all because of non-rowing things) … so there were tears and snot everywhere & I sympathise with every baby & toddler out there having their noses wiped with baby wipes as we speak.
We had a special Sidhu moment, where Herdip patted me on the shoulders and said “there there”, and for a while I was better!
We were sharing one pair of musto deck shoes as a squall had drowned the other, which meant I was bare footed steeping out of the cabin. I slipped and landed with my coccyx on the hinge of the hatch. I HOWLED! It was agony. The second howl which you may of heard was not my echo, but that of Herdip’s when she had to inspect the site of impact!!
When a text later that day made me all emotional again, Herdips words “well if you’re going to cry, get on the oars first” was the perfect response to finally snap me out of it! So on with the rowing!

Another Sidhu special moment which I actually forgot to share with you was that of the hand held bilge pump. As I’ve mentioned our automatic one has packed in, and so, as if our biceps don’t have enough to do, we now pump all the water out with hand!! It’s a simple design … a nozzle, a pump and a pipe to direct the water away (into an empty bucket). So I was bemused, worried and hysterical to watch Herdip pumping water for some time … out of the bucket and into our boat …… I think it’s time we got home!

If not for any other reason, but she’s also now gone the whole time (54 days!) without washing her hair … she insists it’s in some stage of self cleaning or something … yeah right!!

Thank you to Sally & Clint for your navigation and weather advice. Much appreciated.
And a massive thank you to everyone involved in the Valentine’s ball for your messages. As the days go by, we struggle to see how we can make it there in time, but even without us, I’m sure you’ll have a FANTASTIC time, with Jo Bardoe at the helm, I know you will. Enjoy & savour every last bit of bubble for us, and we’ll look forward to meeting you all at the next event that Jo organises … oops sorry Jo!

No comments: